Many users who have upgraded to the beta version of the latest iOS 9.1 are looking to downgrade back to iOS 8.4.1 due to bugs and vulnerabilities. The
good news is that it is possible now that Apple’s iOS 8.4.1 release is being signed . Apple has since then stopped signing iOS 8.4.1 , iOS 9 , and hence downgrade to either firmware is not possible . Try the new updated tutorial for iOS 9 downgrade for more details . If you try to follow the below steps , your device will land into “Not Eligible for the Requested Build” error on iTunes .
Image : Downgrade from iOS 9.1 back to iOS 8.4.1
Remember that once you go back to iOS 8.4.1 from iOS 9, it won’t be possible to restore any full device backup that you may have made in iOS 9 on iCloud or iTunes. The reason for this is that iOS 9 backups are not compatible backwards on iOS 8 and won’t work on it. So you will either have to restore to an old backup that you made on iOS 8.x, or you will have to start clean on iOS 8.4.1.
Follow the below given steps to downgrade your Apple device back to iOS 8.4.1 from iOS 9.1 beta .
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your Mac or Windows PC.
- Download iOS 8.4.1 for your specific iPad or iPhone model.
- Go to Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone and turn it off.
- Connect your device to your Windows or Mac and run iTunes.
- You will now be required to go in DFU mode. You can do this by holding down the Power and the Touch ID|Home buttons both at a time for about 10 seconds, and then keep holding the Touch ID|Home button while releasing the Power button until you enter the DFU mode. iTunes will confirm the same.
- Next, while in iTunes, hold down the left SHIFT key if on Windows or the Option key if you are on Mac, and then click the “Restore iPhone” option.
- Now iTunes will prompt you to select the IPSW file that you want to restore your device to. Point it to the iOS 8.4.1 firmware file which you downloaded in the Step 2.
- iTunes will then start the downgrade|restore process. The process may take some time, so do not unplug your device from the computer during this stage. Once the restore process is completed, the device will reboot and you will be greeted by the Hello welcome screen of the iOS 8.4.1.
iOS 9.1 is available in beta version to developers for testing purposes, and the final public release is expected to come out in the coming months .
Useful Links :
- How to Download iOS 9.1 beta Legally for Free
- Download Cydia App on iOS 9
- iOS 9 Ready Cydia Repo Sources