iOS 9 download is finally out and millions of users globally are updating to the new firmware. iOS 9 comes with great new features and is a must have for all those who complain that stock iOS does not offer jailbreak like features, because some of the features in iOS 9 have been directly lifted off from some popular jailbreak tweaks. The iOS 9 update and download links are available officially now, so you can update to iOS 9 right away. At the time of writing this article iOS 9.3.5 was the latest release . The steps included in this tutorial is applicable for all iOS 9 upto iOS 9.3.5 .
Image : Installing iOS 9
How to Guide for Installing iOS 9
Always make it a habit to backup your device before updating the iOS firmware. So even if something goes wrong and you lose your data, you will be able to restore it back from the backup. So completely backup your device with iCloud or iTunes before installing iOS 9.
Method 1 : OTA Method
- In your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- If your device is connected to the internet, your device will prompt you that a new update is available for download.
- Make sure that you are connected to a WiFi network, because major iOS updates are sometimes over 1 GB in size and may result in heavy data costs if you download the update on Cellular Network.
- If you are planning to jailbreak your device, then do not use the OTA method as it is known to cause issues with jailbreaks.
Method 2 : iTunes Update
- Make sure that the iTunes in your computer is updated to the latest version. If not, update it and then proceed ahead.
- Plug in your iOS device to your computer and launch iTunes.
- Now iTunes will detect your device. Select your device from the summary section.
- Next, click the Update button in iTunes.
- iTunes will perform update check and will download the update to your device.
- Once updated, your device will reboot to the Hello screen of iOS 9.
Method 3 : Manual iOS 9 IPSW Installation With iTunes
Download iOS ipsw for your particular iOS device model and save the file to your desktop. Links provided below .
- iOS 9 [all versions]
- Update your iTunes to the latest version and open it.
- Plug in your iOS device to the computer.
- Now go to the Device Summary and hold down the Shift key if on Windows or the Alt key if on Mac and simultaneously click on the Restore iPhone | iPad | iPod button.
- iTunes will prompt to select the iOS 9 .ipsw firmware file. Just select the file that you had downloaded and extracted to the desktop.
- iTunes will now start installing iOS 9 on your device. Once finished, your device will reboot and you will be greeted by the Hello screen. Just follow the on-screen instructions now to set up your device for use.
Always remember to backup your device before updating. If your iOS device is not behaving normally after the update, then downgrade iOS back to the older firmware. Possible iOS 9 update errors listed below with solutions .
- Software Update Failed Error – If you face update issues like the Software Update Failed error, it can be fixed by following this tutorial.
- Stuck at Update Requested – If you are updating via the OTA method and your device gets stuck at the Update Requested screen, the follow this tutorial to fix it.
Update [ 20th Aug 2016 ] : Apple stopped signing the last iOS 9 firmware , iOS 9.3.5. This means you can no longer install iOS 9.3.5. If you try to do this , iTunes will return an error “This device is not eligible for the requested build“.