The whole jailbreak community is rejoicing now, as a jailbreak for iOS 9 has now been released by the Pangu team [tutorial]. Also, Saurik has updated Cydia Installer and Cydia Substrate so that they work smoothly with iOS 9 without causing any issues. However, most of the jailbreak app and tweak developers were not ready for the jailbreak yet and have not updated their tweaks to support the latest iOS 9 firmware. One such issue faced by owners is with the Winterboard theme. In case you jailbreak iOS 9 on your device and try applying a Winterboard theme, you will find that it doesn’t work. The reason behind this is that Winterboard has
not been updated to work with iOS 9 [ Updated 23rd Nov ’15].
Image : Winterboard Not Working on iOS 9
However, you don’t need to get disappointed as there is a way around this through which you can get the Winterboard theme working on your jailbroken iOS 9 device. The step-by-step tutorial below will guide you through the process to solve the problem for you.
How to Fix the Winterboard Not Working Issue
- First of all, open Cydia and install the iFile app on your iOS 9 device.
- Next, download the Winterboard .deb file [ext link] to your device and then install it using the iFile app you downloaded in the first step. In case you have already installed Winterboard from Cydia, make sure that you remove it before you install the .deb file.
- Now browse to /applications in iFile and find winterboard.app. You will see an exclamation mark next to the file. Just tap on the exclamation mark rename it to winterboard1.app.
- Now go to Cydia again and install iCleaner.
- After installing iCleaner, the Winterboard app will also get updated with it automatically. In case you already have installed iCleaner, simply open it and tap the Clean button.
- Now respring your iOS device.
- After your device boots up, use the iFile app and browse to /applications. Now rename winterboard1.app back to winterboard.app again.
- Finally, launch iCleaner again and tap on the Clean button. Winterboard will now get updated in order to apply the changes made.
Following the above steps will get Winterboard working on your iOS device now. Now you can easily apply any Winterboard themes of your choice from Cydia. In case you are still not able to apply the theme, then you need to wait a few days for Winterboard to be updated for supporting iOS 9.