Fans of Nito TV rejoice ! Developer Kevin Bradley has made some great new updates to the tweak that make the already awesome service even better. What is NitoTV to begin with ? It’s a great source for multimedia to stream directly to your TV. Movies, music and YouTube access are some of the many available treats to NitoTV users. In addition, all of the basic services you would get from things like Chromecast, Firestick, Apple TV and dare I mention the dinosaur, Roku, are all available on NitoTV. Hulu, Netflix, Popcornflix, news outlets etc. are some of the examples.
Image : NitoTV App on Apple Tv
New Features :
The Nito standard, Kodi, until now, was best side loaded on your Apple TV. Now, with the new updates, it can be installed via NitoTV. Some of the new features are listed below.
- Tuyu: A custom YouTube browser
- Mame: an emulator
- Provenance: another emulator
- A web browser
- A Popcorn time client
- A game called Pong
We also know that as time goes on, more great packages will be installed.
How to Install NitoTV ?
Here is a step by step list of the installation procedure. It should be noted that NitoTV only works if you have fourth generation Apple TV that runs TvOS 9.0 or 9.0.1 .
- Without stating the painfully obvious, you actually have to have jailbroken your Apple TV. The tutorial for Apple TV Jailbreak [ext link] can be found in the given link . There are a wide variety of other sources online that will give you step by step instructions on how to do this.
- Boot up your Mac , launch the terminal and enter this command into SSH in your Apple TV. The default password set is “Alpine” . There is now a NitoTV installer for windows users as well. As mentioned above, there are a multitude of sources online to find instructions on how to install it with that platform.
- Once logged in, enter the following
chmod +x installNTV.sh
From there, Apple TV will force a reboot and the NitoTV icon will appear on your Apple TV home screen. Make sure to install of the new, cool features mentioned above and enjoy. And always stay on the lookout for new features available.
There was a two-year hiatus where not much was done with NitoTV as the first hack only worked with Apple TV 2. Now that Apple TV 4 can be jailbroken, we would not be surprised to find all sorts of cool new option popping out of the woodwork for NitoTV. Stay tuned !