In case you have an iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone that is jailbroken, you may have a tough time updating to iOS 9 via the OTA update. Chances are that when you try to get the OTA update, the screen will just be stuck at the Checking for Update section. Read the tips below for Upgrading your existing jailbroken iPhone with Cydia installed to new iOS 9 – iOS 9.1 firmware . Post iOS 9 install , we also give instructions to Prepare for iOS 9 jailbreak on your updated phone .
Image : Install iOS 9 on Jailbroken iPhone
Well this is not surprising and is expected in case of jailbroken devices, as most of the modern jailbreaks like TaiG do not work well with OTA updates. Also, these jailbreaks actually disable OTA updates so that the device does not accidentally update itself to the next iOS firmware, thus saving the jailbreak.
So if you want to update your jailbroken device to iOS 9 , your only way to do it is through iTunes. Please remember that once you update to iOS 9, you will lose your jailbreak and all the installed jailbreak tweaks and you will not be able to downgrade to a jailbreakable iOS firmware.
iOS 9 Download – Update Compatibility List :
The following devices are compatible with iOS 9 :
- iPad mini 3, Retina iPad mini, 1st gen iPad mini
- iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad 3 and iPad 2
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 and iPhone 4s
- 6th generation iPod touch, 5th generation iPod touch
Make sure your prepare yourself for the iOS 9 update as well as the iOS 9 jailbreak so that you can get the most out of your iOS 9 device.
Backup your iOS Device :
Before updating to the new iOS firmware, it is a good habit to completely backup your iOS device. This is just to make sure that in case something goes wrong during the update and your data gets wiped, you can restore it from the backup. Use iTunes or iCloud to backup.
How to Update Jailbroken iPhone to iOS 9 via iTunes :
As mentioned earlier, if you are not able to download iOS 9 via the OTA update, then you can update to iOS 9 officially using iTunes. Before you go ahead with the process, make sure that the iTunes you are using is updated to the latest version.
Now follow these steps to update to iOS 9:
- Plug in your iOS device to your computer and wait for iTunes to launch and detect your device.
- Now click on the device button in the top right corner in iTunes.
- Now click the Check for Update button directly without holding down any other key. If iOS 9 is available for your device, iTunes will automatically download and install iOS 9 in your device.
- A popup will come up saying that a new update is available. Just click on Download and Update button. In case you don’t get a message , then download the iOS 9 – 9.1 ipsw firmware file for your specific iOS device model and skip to Step 5.
- This step involves installing the iOS 9 firmware manually using iTunes . Once you download the relevant iOS 9 firmware file for your device , press and hold the Alt [on Mac] or Shift [on Windows] and then click on the Update button once again on iTunes . But this time it will bring up a window where you can select the iOS 9 .ipsw file that you downloaded . Select and continue .
- A popup will come up telling you that iTunes will update your iOS device to iOS 9 and it will verify with Apple. Just click the Update button.
- You will be shown the iOS 9 release notes. Click the Next button. Now click on Agree for the terms and conditions.
- Now the firmware file will be downloaded by iTunes [not for Step 5 users], and it may take some time as such files can be as large as 2 GB.
- Now the firmware file will be processed, extracted, and the update will be installed to your device.
- Wait patiently until the update is completely finished. Your device will reboot a few times during the update, which is normal.
- Once the process is complete, your iOS device will reboot and you will be welcomed by the Hello screen. Just follow the on-screen instructions now to setup your iOS device and start using iOS 9.
An iOS 9 jailbreak will be released soon, so if you do not want to lose your jailbreak till then, then it is suggested that you do not update to iOS 9 as it is unjailbreakable at the moment. We have a post with details of the latest iOS 9 jailbreak and iOS 9.1 Jailbreak status update . Till then , Subscribe to our Email Newsletter and follow us on Facebook .